- Curriculum vitae, including a paragraph on demonstrated leadership qualities.
- List of at least three publications, noting in which journals the papers were published.
- Research proposal (maximum 3 pages).
- Recommendation letter from the hosting supervisor at the Israeli university/universities to which the candidate is applying.
- Three letters of recommendation, including a letter from the candidate’s PhD supervisor. If possible, one letter should be from a university other than the one where the candidate’s PhD was granted.
- Personal statement detailing the candidate’s future career plans, including a statement regarding the candidate’s plans to return to the United States or Canada to compete for an academic position.
- A simplified 200-word description of intended research
Additional Supporting Documents for the Joint North American-Israel Postdoc Track:
- Recommendation letter from the hosting supervisor at the US or Canadian university to which the candidate is applying, including a guarantee to provide the necessary funding for travel and research ($8,000 per year).
- The research proposal must include a description of how the research will be conducted at the two hosting institutions, how the supervisors will jointly oversee the research, any prior collaboration between the two supervisors if relevant, and the added value of conducting the joint research. It should also include a proposed time line for when the candidate will be at each institution, if known.
Annual Notification of Renewal
- By March 31, 2022 of the first year in the program, scholars must notify their hosting universities whether or not they are continuing in the program for a second year.
- By March 31, 2022 of the second year, if circumstances allow, Zuckerman Postdoctoral Scholarships may be renewed on a competitive basis for a third year.
> Renewal for a third year requires approval by the Steering Committee. Scholars must obtain a letter of request from their supervisors. They should send this, along with their own request for renewal and a summary of their postdoc research, to the Selection Committee at their Israeli university.
> Requests for a third-year renewal must be submitted before March 31, 2022.
Zuckerman Scholars are required to participate in sponsored events and activities during the academic year.
These events include but are not limited to:
- A day-long academic event at each participating university campus.
- Visits to various departments, research programs, and research facilities, including opportunities to meet students and faculty at other universities.
- Social activities and sightseeing trips. Scholars will be exposed to Israeli culture, meet with various sectors and ethnic groups, and visit science parks and high-tech incubators in Israel.
- A Zuckerman Institute Symposium featuring postdoctoral scholars presenting their research from participating universities in the Zuckerman STEM Leadership Program. This program is open to the public and is covered in the media.
Publications and Recognition
- Zuckerman Postdoctoral Scholars must identify themselves as scholars of the Zuckerman Postdoctoral Scholars Program in all academic and scientific papers, articles, publications, presentations (including web pages) of any material based on or advanced under the Zuckerman STEM Leadership Program, in the following terms: “This work was supported in part by the Zuckerman STEM Leadership Program.”
- Where appropriate, for purposes of branding, clarity and differentiation, the scholar shall name himself or herself as a “Zuckerman Postdoctoral Scholar.”